As with all events in “the season”, the rules on dress at Henley Royal Regatta are numerous. An important point to remember is that the Regatta itself does not have a dress code. Indeed it is possible to watch the races wearing whatever you want, however much like Ascot, if you want to get into certain areas, there are distinct rules which must be adhered to. According to the official website, these are the dos and don’ts if you want to watch the races from Temple Island or from the Stewards’ Enclosure:
- Wear collared shirts, lounge suits or blazers and flannels for the gentlemen (and yes, a tie is preferable).
- Show your support by wearing your club blazer.
- Wear skirts or dresses down to the knee for the ladies – no trousers or culottes.
- Wear a hat – it is customary though not compulsory.
- Wear jeans, shorts, denim or trainers.
- Opt for a large Ascot-type hat as it will undoubtedly block other people’s view.
- Leave your mobile phone at home – anyone seen taking calls will have their badge number noted by security guards and anyone who commits the offense twice will be escorted out of the enclosure.
That’s it from us, enjoy the show!